Feb 8, 2013

Owl Flip Card

Hello Everyone!  Happy Year of the Snake.  February 10, 2013 is Lunar New Year.
I saw this cute owl flip card on YouTube and tried my hand at copying them. Original instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rMNLUxS3c  http://darlenedesign.com/wordpress/?p=3016 .


Basically, cut a letter sized cardstock in half vertically (11" x 4.25").  Then score and fold horizontally in half (5.5"), then fold front again in half (2.75"), then fold front quarter 1" further in (3.75").

Use 3 sizes of Spellbinders Labels 16 dies to cut frame opening and mat.  The largest frame is only partially cut by laying the clear acrylic board to cover only part of the die. I cut the front half first, then back 1/8th in two separate passes through the Big Shot.  Darlene's YouTube video shows how.





You need 3 owls per card.  The front owl's clothes should match back left owl.  And the eyes of the back two owls should look towards each other (i.e., the left owl looks right, and right owl looks left).  The eyes are really difficult to glue on, so I sometimes just drew them on with a marker.  My friend Alisa and Cami came over to help me figure out the cards.  I haven't seen Alisa for almost 2 years, so I was very happy she was able to make it.

The greetings on the left says "Happy New Year" in Chineses characters.  It's a really useful Chinese greetings stampset from StampMagic.com.  I bought the Spellbinders die for $18.50 from ArtFire.com, my first purchase from that site.  A friend who sells crafts online told me about it, and that she likes it better than eBay (less commission cost).  The final two pictures are of my first card, which I made before the Spellbinders Labels dies arrived.  It is possible to make this card using Stampin' Up! Decorative Label punch and a rectangular cutting template and knife.  But it was much more of a hassle, and the cuts were not as smooth.  I think the Labels 16 dies are worth it for this project.  Some more friends came over later to make these cards in red card base for Valentines Day.  They take a long time to make, so I don't think I will be making a lot of them.  But they are very cute!  The coral frame is cut from Paper Company brights card stock set.  It's a lot brighter than Stampin Up's cameo coral paper.

Supplies:
  • Stampin' Up! owl builder punch $17; bird builder punch $17 (for leaves)
  • Spellbinders Labels 16 nestabilities dies, $18.50 ($25 retail); Big Kick machine
  • Score board, optional ($11.50 on sale from AC More)
  • Cardstock: green, transparent green (leaves), white, chocolate, cocoa, coral, yellow.  
  • Designer Paper: leftover scraps in red and blue.
  • Markers: chocolate, caramel (color owl eyes), red (color owl heart), pink (draw owl feathers).

No comments:

Post a Comment